Editor’s Note: This recall has been vastly expanded.
The Food and Drug Administration (FDA) posted a recall alert on December 30, 2020, after pet food manufacturer Midwestern Pet Food voluntarily recalled its Sportmix dog and cat food.
The recall was a result of the FDA being alerted to reports of at least 28 dogs that died and eight that were ill after consuming the recalled pet food.
What was recalled?
- Sportmix Energy Plus, 50 lb. bags, Lot Codes 03/02/22/05/L2, 03/02/22/05/L3 or 03/03/22/05/L2
- Sportmix Energy Plus, 44 lb. bags, Lot Code 03/02/22/05/L3
- Sportmix Premium High Energy, 50 lb. bags, Lot Code 03/03/22/05/L3
- Sportmix Premium High Energy, 44 lb. bags, Lot Code 03/03/22/05/L3
- Sportmix Original Cat, 31 lb. bags, Lot Code 03/03/22/05/L3
- Sportmix Original Cat, 15 lb. bags, Lot Codes 03/03/22/05/L2 or 03/03/22/05/L3
Lot code information is on the back of the bag and will appear in a three-line code, with the top line in the format “EXP 03/03/22/05/L#/B###/HH:MM”.
Why was it recalled?
Aflatoxins are toxins which can grow on corn and other grain used as ingredients in pet food. They are toxins produced by the mold Aspergillus flavus, and if consumed in high volumes, can cause illness and death in pets.
Symptoms include vomiting, jaundice, diarrhea, sluggishness, and decreased appetite. In severe cases, this toxicity can be fatal. In some cases, pets may suffer liver damage but not show any symptoms.
It is unlikely that pet owners who handle products containing aflatoxin are at risk of aflatoxin poisoning. But, pet owners should always wash their hands after handling pet food.
Where was the product sold?
The impacted products were distributed to online retailers and stores nationwide in the United States.
Reporting pet food problems
Canadians can report any health or safety incidents related to the use of this product by filling out the Consumer Product Incident Report Form.
Get lifesaving recall alerts
Get free cat food recall alerts sent to you by email. Subscribe to the Cat Food Advisor’s emergency recall warning system.
Cancel any time.