Stella & Chewy’s Purrfect Paté cat food receives the Cat Food Advisor rating, 4.5 stars.
It is formulated to meet the nutritional levels established by the AAFCO cat food nutrient profiles for all life stages.
- Rich in animal protein
- Responsibly sourced
- No corn, wheat or soy
- No by products
- Contains taurine
- Quite expensive
Each recipe includes its AAFCO nutrient profile: Growth (kitten), Maintenance (adult), All Life Stages, Supplemental or Unspecified.
The Stella & Chewy’s Purrfect Paté product line includes 10 cat foods.
|Purrfect Paté Cage-Free Chicken Recipe||4.5||M|
|Purrfect Paté Cage-Free Turkey Recipe||4.5||M|
|Purrfect Paté Chicken & Salmon Medley Recipe||4.5||M|
|Carnivore Cravings Purrfect Paté Chicken & Chicken Liver Recipe||4.5||M|
|Carnivore Cravings Purrfect Paté Salmon, Tuna & Mackerel Recipe||4.5||M|
|Carnivore Cravings Purrfect Paté Tuna & Pumpkin Recipe||4.5||M|
|Carnivore Cravings Purrfect Paté Chicken & Tuna Recipe||4.5||M|
|Carnivore Cravings Purrfect Paté Chicken & Salmon Recipe||4.5||M|
|Carnivore Cravings Purrfect Paté Duck & Chicken Recipe||4.5||M|
|Carnivore Cravings Purrfect Paté Kitten Chicken & Salmon Recipe||4.5||G|
Save up to 35%
See discount in cart
Recipe and Label Analysis
Stella & Chewy’s Purrfect Paté Cage-Free Chicken Recipe was selected to represent the other products in the line for a detailed recipe and nutrient analysis.
Label and nutrient data below are calculated using dry matter basis.
Stella & Chewy’s Purrfect Paté Cage-Free Chicken Recipe
Estimated Dry Matter Nutrient Content
Cage-free chicken, chicken bone broth, chicken liver, pumpkin, natural chicken flavor, calcium carbonate, agar-agar, potassium chloride, choline chloride, dandelion, taurine, zinc proteinate, iron proteinate, magnesium proteinate, copper proteinate, manganese proteinate, potassium iodide, sodium selenite, sodium phosphate, vitamin A supplement, vitamin DE3 supplement vitamin E supplement niacin supplement D-calcium pantothenate, riboflavin supplement, thiamine mononitrate, pyridoxine hydrochloride, biotin, vitamin B12 supplement, folic acid
Fiber (estimated dry matter content) = 2%
Red denotes any controversial items
The first ingredient is chicken. Chicken is considered “the clean combination of flesh and skin… derived from the parts or whole carcasses of chicken”. 1
Chicken is naturally rich in the 11 essential amino acids required by a cat to sustain life.
The second ingredient is chicken bone broth. Broths are of only modest nutritional value. Yet because they add both flavor and moisture to a cat food, they are a common component in many wet products.
The third ingredient is chicken liver. This is an organ meat sourced from a named animal and thus considered a beneficial component.
The fourth ingredient is pumpkin. Pumpkin is a nutritious addition high in complex carbohydrates, beta-carotene and dietary fiber.
The fifth ingredient is natural chicken flavor. Natural chicken flavor doesn’t give us much information about the particular ingredients included in this cat food for flavoring purposes. We’re pleased that the flavorings are natural, but more details are required to give any further information about this natural chicken flavor ingredient.
The sixth ingredient is calcium carbonate, likely used here as a dietary mineral supplement.
The seventh ingredient is agar agar, a natural vegetable gelatin derived from the cell walls of certain species of red algae. Agar is rich in fiber and is used in wet pet foods as a gelling agent.
The eighth ingredient is potassium chloride, a nutritional supplement sometimes used as a replacement for the sodium found in table salt.
From here the list goes on to include a number of other items. But to be realistic, ingredients located this far down the list (other than nutritional supplements) are not likely to affect the overall rating of the product.
However this recipe contains sodium this recipe contains sodium selenite, a controversial form of the mineral selenium. Sodium selenite appears to be nutritionally inferior to the more natural source of selenium found in selenium yeast.
We view the presence of taurine in this recipe as a positive addition.
This recipe receives a 4.5-star rating.
Save up to 35%
See discount in cart
Based on its ingredients alone, Stella & Chewy’s Purrfect Paté Cage-Free Chicken Recipe looks like an above-average raw product.
The dashboard displays a dry matter protein reading of 45.5%, a fat level of 22.7% and an estimated carbohydrate level of 23.8%.
As a group, the brand features an average protein content of 46.6% and a mean fat level of 21.4%. Together these figures suggest a carbohydrate content of 24% for the overall product line, alongside a fat-to-protein ratio of 46%.
This means the Stella & Chewy’s Purrfect Paté product line contains above-average protein, below-average carbs and above-average fat when compared to typical wet cat food.
Stella & Chewy’s Purrfect Paté range is made from high-quality, natural ingredients including real meat or fish as the primary ingredient. The recipes also incorporate wholesome fruits, vegetables, and added vitamins and minerals to create a balanced meal for cats.
Has Stella & Chewy's cat food been recalled in the past?
Yes, Stella & Chewy’s has had two recalls in 2015. One in July, the other in December. Both for potential listeria links.
The products affected in July were:
- Freeze-Dried Chewy’s Chicken Dinner for Dogs, 15 oz., Lot #111-15, Best by April 23, 2016 or April 26, 2016
- Freeze-Dried Chick, Chick, Chicken Dinner for Cats, 12 oz., Lot #111-15, Best by April 29, 2016 or May 3, 2016
- Freeze-Dried Chick, Chick, Chicken Dinner for Cats, 12 oz., Lot #104-15, Best by April 23, 2016
- Freeze-Dried Chick, Chick, Chicken Dinner for Cats, 12 oz., Lot #109-15, Best by April 29, 2016 or May 3, 2016
- Carnivore Crunch – Turkey Recipe, 3.25 oz., Lot #111-15, Best by May 3, 2016 or May 4, 2016
- Carnivore Crunch – Chicken Recipe, 3.25 oz., Lot #110-15, Best by May 3
- Frozen Duck Duck Goose Dinner Morsels for Dogs, 4 lb., Lot #111-15, Best by April 21, 2016
- Frozen Chewy’s Chicken Dinner Morsels for Dogs, 4 lb., Lot #111-15, Best by April 21, 2016
- Frozen Surf ‘N Turf Dinner Patties for Dogs, 6 lb., Lot #111-15, Best by April 21, 2016
- Frozen Chewy’s Chicken Dinner Patties for Dogs, 3 lb. or 6 lb., Lot #111-15, Best by April 21, 2016
- Freeze-Dried Tantalizing Turkey Meal Mixers, 9 oz. or 18 oz., Lot #105-15, Best by May 3, 2016
- Freeze-Dried Tantalizing Turkey Meal Mixers, 18 oz., Lot #113-15, Best by May 3, 2016
- Freeze-Dried Chewy’s Chicken Dinners for Dogs, 15 oz., Lot #114-15, Best by April 26, 2016
- Freeze-Dried Tummy Ticklin’ Turkey Dinner for Cats, 12 oz., Lot #114-15 or #115-15, Best by May 4, 2016
- Freeze-Dried Salmon & Chicken Dinner for Cats, 12 oz., Lot #107-15, Best by April 23, 2016
And the products affected in December were:
- 8 oz. packages of Frozen Stella’s Super Beef Dinner Morsels for Dogs, Lot #165-15, “Best by” June 25, 2016
- 4 lb. packages of Frozen Stella’s Super Beef Dinner Morsels for Dogs, Lot #165-15, “Best by” June 25, 2016 or June 26, 2016
- 1.25 lb. packages of Frozen Duck Duck Goose Dinner Morsels for Cats, Lot #165-15, “Best by” June 25, 2016
- 1.25 lb. packages of Frozen Chick Chick Chicken Dinner Morsels for Cats, Lots #160-15 or 152-15, “Best by” July 2, 2016
You can view a complete list of all cat food recalls since 2021 here.
To stay on top of any cat food product recalls, sign up for our free email alerts, here.
Stella & Chewy’s was founded by Marie Moody after adopting two dogs named Stella & Chewy, this led to Marie pursuing her passion for pet nutrition and starting her own business.
The privately held business is based in Oak Creek and foods are manufactured at a plant in Wisconsin.
We uphold the highest editorial standards when creating the authoritative content pet parents rely on and trust.
Every piece of clinical content on the Cat Food Advisor is reviewed by our certified Veterinary Advisory Board, which consists of licensed veterinarians and medically certified specialists.
Our reviews are completely independent; we are not paid by any pet food company to promote their products favorably. We do not accept money, gifts, samples or other incentives in exchange for special consideration. For more information see our Disclaimer & Disclosure page.